Aims and Values
We have three main aims at St John’s Primary School and Nursery:
- That all our children are safe in our care.
- That all of our children are happy.
- That all of our children achieve their best, whatever their starting point.
Underpinning these three core aims are our learning values. These are especially important to us as they were chosen and developed by the children.
At St John’s Primary School and Nursery we strive to teach the children about the values that underpin life in Modern Britain. We do this through the curriculum and through Personal, Social and emotional development work. Many of the things we do are integral to day to day life in our school and some are made more explicit. We place high emphasis on the word “values”; we see this as far more intrinsic to our philosophy and ethos rather than the children knowing about iconic London landmarks. Having said that, our older children do enjoy a visit to London and it has been one of the highlights of our new curriculum.
The Promoting Fundamental British Values in Schools Guidance (Nov 14) states schools should:
- Enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- Enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- Encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
- Enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
- Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- Encourage respect for other people; and
- Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
One of the most lovely things about our school is the ethos that has been created. We have a lovely mix of people in our community from many different backgrounds and a unique feel that can only be measured by visiting.
Come and see for yourself how these values underpin all we do creating an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust.